Policy Forum: The Role of Area-based Education in Fostering Foundational Skills forthe Future Thai Labor Market
Monday, May 29th, 2023 09:00-11:40 a.m.
At the Equitable Education Fund Office, Thailand
The Equitable Education Fund (EEF), Thailand, is an organizational body operating under the supervision of the Prime Minister. It was established under the Equitable Education Act of 2018 with the mandate to provide financial support for children and youth in greatest need, reduce educational inequality through partnerships with different groups, and conduct systematic research to support and develop teachers’ effectiveness. The organization aims to ensure that individuals receive education or undergo development to acquire knowledge and competence. Its work is guided by research findings, collaborative goal-setting, needs assessment, and the translation of research and development models into national-level policies for broad-scale impact.
In collaboration with the World Bank, Thammasat University, and the National Statistical Office, EEF has established academic partnerships and formulated policy recommendations to enhance Thailand’s human capital competitiveness in the 21st century. This effort includes the “Adult Skills Assessment in Thailand,” a research survey aimed at identifying pathways to upgrade the country’s labor force skills and align educational policies with the evolving digital labor market landscape. By enhancing competitiveness, Thailand aims to transcend the middle-income trap, elevate labor skills, improve the quality of life for its citizens, reduce intergenerational poverty, increase national income, and address disparities in various dimensions.
Therefore, to support the aforementioned initiatives, the Equitable Education Fund (EEF), in collaboration with the World Bank, Thammasat University, and the National Statistical Office, has jointly organized the 3rd Policy Forum, focusing on the Role of Area-based Education in Fostering Foundational Skills for the Future Thai Labor Market.
- To foster understanding of the strategies and new challenges involved in developing foundational skills at the provincial level.
- To emphasize the importance and role of essential skills and learning in reducing economic and social disparities, both at the international, national, and provincial levels.
- To propose policy recommendations and foster collaboration in developing the foundational skills of Thailand’s human capital in the new era of the global workforce.
- Presentation of international case studies on the development of foundational skills and their roles at the sub-national level.
- Panel discussions and exchange of viewpoints on “Developing Foundational Skills and Roles at the Provincial Level in Thailand” led by policymakers, educators, and area-based representatives from the educational sector.
- Government agencies, private sector entities, academic institutions, and media organizations engaged in reducing educational disparities and enhancing the competencies of Thai youth and adult workforce.
- Representatives from local partner agencies and provincial administrative organizations.
Date: Monday, May 29th, 2023, from 09:00 to 11:40 a.m.
Venue: Equitable Education Fund, S.P. Building (Building A), 13th floor, 388 Phaholyothin Road, Samsennai, Phayathai District, Bangkok 10400, Thailand. (For speakers and media participants only.)
Online: Participants can join the meeting through the Zoom platform by registering at the following link: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcodeuqpz8oGtNpz8OXm-5D2umqOK-qDCvb
Alternatively, the meeting will be livestreamed on the Equitable Education Fund Thailand’s Facebook page.
- Equitable Education Fund (Thailand)
- World Bank
- Thammasat University
- National Statistical Office